Bottle Brush Trees – 31 Days of Pinterest Project, Day #5

SONY DSC

 I saw some vintage style bottle brush trees for sale at Cost Plus World Market, this holiday season. They were really lovely and not too expensive, but at $7 each, they were more than I wanted to spend at this time. In doing some more research, I stumbled upon a few tutorials on DIY bottle brush trees. Now I was fascinated and wanted to make my own. The one I chose to follow can be found here.

SONY DSC

I bought these Lemax pine trees from Michael’s. They were 50% off of $21, plus I got an extra 20% discount. Less than $10 for 21 trees, I was pleased. I found them in the Christmas-minature-scene section. These pine trees had fake snow on them. I was a little worried about this fact, but apparently many people have used these for this project. The “snow” comes right off with the bleach and some scrubbing with your hand.

SONY DSC

I gathered my supplies; the trees, gloves, bleach and a container. I filled the container with some water and some bleach. I didn’t measure the bleach, but it was a sufficient amount to remind me why I hate the stuff. It is really caustic.

SONY DSC

I put the trees in the bleach/water solution and the color started to come off immediately. I let the trees soak for over an hour. One tutorial I read left the trees to soak over night. I might try that next time.

SONY DSC

While several of the small trees turned out pretty white, the larger ones looked as though they still had some processing to do. I had read one tutorial that used OXY Clean. I decided to give it a try.

SONY DSC

I used OXO Brite, which in my opinion is better than OXY clean. I left them to soak for an hour in this solution.

SONY DSC

At this point, I was satisfied that the trees were white enough and was eager to move on to the dying. I mixed the dye in a glass vase and dipped the trees in. They took the color right away.

SONY DSC

The colors were brighter than I had originally hoped for. I left them to dry over night.

SONY DSC

The next day, I fluffed up the trees, as they were looking a bit mangy from the dye bath. Some didn’t fully recover. I guess this adds to the vintage look.

SONY DSC

To add some sparkle, I used glitter. I sprayed each tree, one-at-a-time, with spray adhesive and then sprinkled them with extra-fine glitter and some tinsel glitter. The result was subtle yet charming.

SONY DSC

The bright colors were toned down by the addition of the glitter.

SONY DSC

I have yet to figure out how to photograph glitter to show the true effect.

SONY DSC

In the end, I was wishing I had kept some white. Perhaps I will revisit this project next year and leave some white. I would also love to change the tree bases from the stock plastic base to a round wooden disk. This would make them appear more authentic and unique. Perhaps I will also add some baubles to tart them up a bit.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s